Even if you have a solid wall house, you can get rid of cold damp interiors by refurbishing your house to maximise energy conservation:
– use external wall insulation
– use foil faced insulation to line the roof
– insulate the floor – its a big job digging out 30cm of dirt you can put silver EPS under a new floor
– Windows: triple glaze!
– Walls – make sure external wall insulation overlaps window frames and goes down to the flooring and up to the eaves
– Heat recovery fro warm air: make the house air tight with breather membranes and install a ventilator system for heat recovery (MVHR). This removes warmth from air in the bathroom and kitchen and rewarms fresh air in the bedrooms and lounge
– Install solar PV panels on your roof
And watch your fuel bills go down and down!