- Job title: Surplus Food Manager
- Reporting to: The Management Team & Directors
- Terms of Employment: 3 months or 6 Month dependent on funding
- Hours per week: 37
- Salary: £25,000 pro rata
- Employer: Community Initiatives South West Ltd
One year part funding has been received for the collaboration of three organisations, FareShare South West, A Greener Festival and National Caterers Association (an application for the rest of the funding is pending). The aim is to raise awareness of food waste at events and festivals, and try to change behaviour, so that no good food should go to waste. Events and festivals will be encouraged to work with their local community to enable collection and distribution of good quality, edible food at the end of the event. During the year a toolkit and film will be developed whilst developing processes and systems to enable the smooth running of food collection and distribution from 5 festivals, plus evaluation and monitoring of the project at the end of the season.
The job will run from June-August 2015 for a three month contract or May-October 2015 for a six month contract.
- Job based at FareShare South West, Unit 4, Little Ann Street, St Judes, Bristol, BS2 9EB with travel throughout the South West and occasionally beyond
- This role requires flexibility and may involve full time for one –two months and part time for one – two months. This will also include visiting 5 festival and working weekends
To provide strategic leadership and development of the surplus food project within five festivals and several events.
- To recruit and manage up to 15 volunteers at any one time and take overall responsibility for the safety and wellbeing of the volunteers.
- To work closely with the three organisations involved (FSSW, AGF and NCASS) to maintain constant development, monitoring and operation of surplus food collection, as well as being involved in the development of the toolkit and film.
- To expand and maintain existing relationships with festivals and events, waste contractors, food traders and local authority, and any other interested parties.
- To take responsibility for and manage the project’s budget, volunteer expenses and other expenses.
- Strategic Development:
- Work with the three organisations to determine strategic decisions to be taken in the development of the surplus food project, the tool kit, operations and film, taking into account advice and collaboration with outside organisations such as local authority and waste management companies.
- Network, build relations and maintain communication with festivals and events and key people involved, collecting feedback, data, case studies and testimonials.
- Monitor and evaluate on an ongoing basis to develop an in-depth and thorough toolkit which is replicable and easy to use, for example surveys and feedback forms.
Health & Safety and Food Safety:
- To be able to teach H & S and food safety to a standard of Food Safety Level 1 to groups of volunteers and give advice to food traders and participating organisations.
- To develop and ensure that food safety regulations are upheld at all times.
- To carry out risk assessments and develop policies in accordance with the project.
- Manage the project’s budget and cash flow, providing regular reports to the management team as required
- Manage the administration for the project
- Be responsible for the monitoring and evaluation reports required under the funding agreement
- Maintain ongoing profile-raising strategy through social media, attending relevant events, being involved in media relationships and contribute to press releases.
- Carry out any other duties which may be necessary to fulfil the main purpose of the post
Essential knowledge, skills & experience:
- At least 2 years’ experience of working in all of the following areas: Project Management or Event Management with a food element, e.g. Catering Industry, Food production, manufacturing, retail
- Intermediate Food Hygiene qualification
- Health & Safety qualification
- Evidence of developing new projects, initiatives and ideas
- Experience of supervising/managing volunteers and, ideally, experience of working as a volunteer
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Team player able to motivate and develop people through positive approaches, and experience of working with people who require support
- Good administrative and organisational ability
- Problem solver and competent decision maker
- Full UK driving licence
- IT literate with a good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Good presentation skills
- A clear commitment to the ethos of FareShare South West
Desirable knowledge, skills & experience:
- Experience of taking responsibility for health and safety issues within a food production/ distribution and/or warehousing operation
- Experience of driving vans/medium sized vehicles
Closing date: 6th March 2015, interview date will be w/c 16th March.
To apply: Please send your CV and a covering letter to Jacqui Reeves: email@example.com