This weekend is the second edition of the May Field Derby Festival held on the grounds of the MVV equestrian stadium in Mannheim, Germany. The premiere in 2011 was a great success with 3,000 visitors. The event is “warm and cozy, climate-friendly and geared it has a relaxed atmosphere”. Visitors can expect an international program twith music, readings and short films. This year, among other things, features Blood Red Shoes, Olli Schulz, Friska Viljor, We Have Band, John K. Samson and chip shop (Weakerthans).
The organizers place great emphasis on regionality and sustainable event management and in cooperation with students from the Academy, Baden-Wurttemberg and the Green Music Initiative (including advising the Melt! Festival and the Berlin Music Week), an environmental management system has been developed for the May Field Derby. This green master plan is titled “Greener Maifeld Derby” and summarizes a package of measures that improve the environmental performance of the festival now and to improve in the coming years, piece by piece.
Among the highlights of the green measures for 2012 are:
* Bicycle Rodeo May Field – a bike ride to the festival site, followed by secret concert for all participants
* Additional local buses for night departure from the festival site
* Matching car-sharers with passengers
* The purchase of green power for the festival site
* Increased use of energy-saving LED technology for lighting the stage
* Intelligent, fuel-efficient power amplifier systems
* Locally based catering with a high proportion of vegetarian dishes
* Discounted bike (pedal-power generation) in the Green Music Lounge
* Environmentally sound printed materials
* More online marketing, less flyer
* Eco-fair Merchandising
* Waste reduction and waste separation
For more information go to http://www.maifeld-derby.de/2012/greener.htm